Monday, February 25, 2013

Week 18

Hola Familia,

That is so exciting to hear about all of the new missions that are being created!  I don't know if anything is changing with our mission yet, but if I find anything out I will let you know.  We did find out on Saturday who our new mission president is going to be... President and Sister Miller will be replaced in July by President and Sister Miller!  It's that kinda crazy?  I will have two different mission presidents, but they are both named Miller. :)  It will be both an exciting and sad time in our mission in July.

I am doing really well.  This past week I was a little under the weather with a cold, but I think that I am over the worst of it, so here's hoping that I don't get sick again.  It seems like a lot of people are sick around here, so I was bound to catch the bug sooner or later.   Speaking of bugs we did have someone come and spray our apartment and I think it helped a little, but I still had an epic battle of scurry and squash with a cockroach last night when we returned to the apartment.  The funny thing is that Hermana Cruz never sees them!  It is only me, so I think they know how much I despise them, so they find it amusing to torment me!

We had a pretty busy week.  We did service for a member on Tuesday.  We did a little service project inside and the Elders were helping outside.  We couldn't resist going outside to see them because their job was to catch the chickens and then to trim back their wings so they can't fly.  It was so comical to see the Elders running around like...hmmm no better way to describe it...a chicken with its head cut off!  They were running and diving trying to capture these chickens who clearly did not want to be caught.  There were feathers and dirt everywhere and Hermana Cruz and I had a show.  I actually have two chicken stories.  The second one happened at this same member's house.  I went and sat down on the couch and there was this long drawn out sound, a cross between a shriek and squeak.  Everyone starred at me and was like "what was that?!"  When we picked up the couch cushion there was a rubber chicken.  We all just started laughing and the best part was the Brother said to leave it there, so another unsuspecting soul would sit down and be greeted by the shriek of a rubber chicken.

So we are working hard to teach the gospel and we are teaching lots and lots of lessons.  Almost all of our lessons are in Spanish, but occasionally we have a lesson in English.  Hermana Cruz is doing well after getting news last week that her niece had passed away.   She was only 8 months old and was the first child of her sister, but also a blessing was that she was a twin.  So although her little spirit will always be missed, they have her twin sister to help remember her by and a daughter to love.  We did a little crying and hugging, and after the Elders gave her blessing of comfort Hermana Cruz had a feeling of peace.  What a difference it makes knowing that this life as a purpose and that we know her little niece is with our Father in Heaven right now.

That same day we had a lesson with one of our neighbors who we had contacted a week earlier.  It ended up being a great lesson and she has accepted a baptism date for the end of March.  It was a little tender mercy from the Lord and was a reassurance that this this is his work after a hard day.  I also would like to share a little miracle story from this week.  We are teaching a lady who is a single mom of 4 kids and recently had a stroke.  Sometimes you can't even tell that she has difficulties with speaking or remembering, but other times it is a little more apparent.  We were teaching a lesson on the scriptures and prayer.  She was having trouble communicating and ended up in tears.  We listened and tried to give words of comfort.  I can't imagine how hard this is for her.  We then shared our testimonies on the power of prayer and asked if she would say a prayer asking that she would be able to communicate.  We kneeled together and she offered such a sincere and heartfelt prayer.  During and after the prayer there was almost an instant change in her speech.  She was able to express her feelings and we were able to finish the lesson.  It was a testimony builder to me on the power of prayer and I know that our Father in heaven hears and answers our prayers.

So that's all for now.  I hope everyone is doing well and has a great week!

Con Amor,
Hermana Klaus

No comments:

Post a Comment