Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Week 56 - November 19, 2013

¡Buenas Tardes Familia!

How is everybody doing?  Hopefully everything continues to go well.  I appreciate all the love and support and especially the prayers that I am receiving, so thank you!

So this is the last week in the transfer and I have no idea what is going to happen next week.  I actually have a fear for serving up in ALBQ now.  I am an El Paso missionary, so I'm not sure I could handle it up North (especially the cold...I wear scarves in 70 degrees now. :) )  We find out Saturday what is going to happen.  Both Hna Fallentine and I are dreading if we have to leave our area, but maybe we can stay together.  That would be awesome.  Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's and our Birthdays!  Plus I don't know how it will work emailing next week because if we are being transferred on Tuesday depending on where we go we might not have time to email.  It might be a crazy day!

I probably should stop telling you cockroach stories because I am pretty sure none of you want to live in Texas anymore, but hey why not one more.  I think I am just blessed to have such a great relationship with the little buggers and I think I have been specially trained to lock in on their locations.  In good news we haven't had any roaches in our apartment.  However, I went on an exchange with some English sisters and we were visiting someone.  When we walked in, the lights were dimmed and we all had a seat.  Then after about 5 minutes or so the lady turned the lights up (probably so we could read something) and then I saw him...and he was HUGE!!!!!!  Probably top 2 or 3 biggest roaches I have seen on my mission.  He was just lying on the floor on his back and I had to stop myself from gasping.  Then because who can't sneak glances at something like that, I watched as he would slowly move his legs up and down.  At one point he started madly kicking and I was planning my escape route if he managed if right himself up, but luckily he just stayed where he was.  So I am not sure why, but wherever I am cockroaches follow.

So we pulled up to our apartment one night and we saw this big old tumbleweed just sitting in front of our parking spot.  So naturally I had to have a picture with it.  It's like half my size!

The real reason why Hermana Fallentine and I are afraid about transfers right now is because our area is doing so good!  We have been teaching a ton of lessons these past two weeks to lots of news too!  Here are some of the highlights of our missionary week.

First off we were doing some Sister stuff and we were on the other side of the mountain, and we were hungry so we decided to stop by Conchita's bakery.  I thought that maybe Chelo would be there, but I didn't think anyone else would, but Conchita was there too.  We were able to say hi to all of them and give them big hugs.  Great news!  Chelo was baptized in Juarez about a month ago with her niece Griselda.  I was so excited to hear that because Hermana Mitchell and I had started teaching her, but because she lived in Juarez over the weekends we referred her to the Elders down there.  It was such a special little blessing to get to hear that she was baptized.  Plus they loaded us up with a ton of pan dulce, which we happily munched on the rest of the week.

Then on Saturday we were looking in the ward directory for people that we didn't recognize to go and visit and so we started trying to contact people.  None of the people that were on the list actually lived there.  We had so many strange encounters to half shut doors, to slightly rude people, to the person had passed away 5 years ago, to wait a second this is the home of one of our investigators.  Every time we got back into the car Hna Fallentine and I just laughed because we couldn't believe that the day could be any crazier, but apparently it could.  It makes everything so much better to have a companion that just looks on the bright side with you and says "well who's next?!"

We have 4 investigators right now with a lot of potential.  One is a sweet older lady who has lost her purse with all her credit cards and papers, but still wants to listen and to learn about the gospel.  Then we found a less active member who has her 15 year old nephew living with her who is not a member, but really wants to learn more and is praying about being baptized.  Then last night we had a lesson with a lady and her two daughters (10 y 8)  We shared the story about Joseph Smith and then committed them to pray about Joseph Smith and ask God if this was Christ's true church.  We originally asked the mother, but then she told her daughter to pray.  This little 10 year old girl offered one of the sweetest prayers I have ever heard and just simply asked if this was true and for God to enlighten their minds.  After the prayer we asked her how she felt and she just started to cry and said she felt real good.  Then her mother started to cry too.  We had visited them two weeks ago and they said they could only meet on Monday, but after that prayer they really wanted us to come back on Thursday.  The spirit really does soften people's hearts and the Lord really does answer a sincere prayer.  Loren is doing great.  We had an excellent lesson with her last night with some members from our ward.  They all were able to share their own experiences and the spirit was testifying to each of us during that lesson.   Loren told us that about week ago she was praying about whether or not to be baptized when all of the sudden a memory of when her Grandmother was baptized into the LDS church entered her mind.  She said she had basically forgotten that memory until right at that moment.  She knows she needs to be baptized and I am pretty sure that she will  in this coming month.  She has some fears, but everyone experiences those, so she just needs to hang on to the good feelings and know that she is receiving an answer.  When she told the story of her grandmother she also told how she had passed away.  That brought to my memory the very first lesson Hermana Cruz and I had with her back in January when I was a brand new missionary.  We were teaching the plan of salvation and through that entire lesson I felt as if someone was sitting next me.  I don't know for sure, but maybe that someone was her grandmother.  This whole experience has been a real testimony builder to me that there are seen and unseen forces at work and that this is no ordinary work.  This is the work of Salvation and this is the work of our Savior.  I love y'all!  Have a great week!

Con Amor,
Hermana Klaus

Katie's tumbleweed...

No comments:

Post a Comment