Monday, October 14, 2013

Week 51 - October 14, 2013

Buenas Tardes Familia y Amigos!

Oh what a beautiful morning. Oh what a beautiful day. I have a beautiful feeling, that I'll be serving in El Paso my whole mission!  Yep that's right. I have another 6 weeks in Texas.  But the weather is super nice right now, so who would want to leave El Paso?  I think I forgot to mention in my last letter about my pathetic state.  So we were getting dinner up in ALBQ and we were heading back to the car, which was parked about 20 feet away.  From the time we left the restaurant to the time we got into the car we were shivering.  When I turned on the car and looked at the temperature it said 72!!!  Oh my!  What kind of pansy shivers in 72 degree weather?!!!!  Apparently I do, but at least all the other sisters shivered along with me.  We also had a chuckle yesterday when we realized we were wearing sweaters and were comfortable and it was 80 degrees outside.  Oh El Paso what have you done to me?!!!!  I am now officially a cold weather pansy!

However as my ability to withstand cold goes down my ability to eat crazy things continues to go up.  My latest culinary palate has included fried intestines.  Mmmmm Mmm that is good stuff.  It actually smells like bacon while it is cooking, but it doesn't quite look like bacon or taste like bacon.  I was eating it alright when I was eating in ignorance, and then the Elders had to go and burst my bubble and tell me what I was eating!  Thanks a lot Elders!  Intestines taste a lot better when you don't know you're eating intestines!  That reminds me of another story about an exchange I went on.  We exchanged early in the morning and I was not feeling good that morning.  If we weren't going on exchanges I probably would have stayed in bed.  So we are driving to the sister's area and she is telling me about the day ahead and then she tells me one of the members is making us menudo tonight.  I am thinking oh no!  So I said a little prayer in my heart and said "ok so menudo is pushing it on a good day and I am not feeling good as it is, so I really can't do it today so if it would be possible please don't make us eat menudo tonight."   Then all day this sister kept talking about menudo and I just kept praying "please no, please no!"  I know that the Lord answers prayers and that there are miracles because for whatever reason the member decided to make lasagna instead!  Yep we get taken care of as missionaries. :)

So we went on one exchange this past week and I went to Alamogordo.  It is this funny town out in the middle of nowhere.  It has a Walmart and restaurants and seems pretty self sufficient, but it is in the middle of nowhere.  I think it would be the perfect place for an alien invasion movie to take place.  They could be hit and the rest of the world would never know!  Haha  Anyway it was a really great exchange.  I was with sister Carter.  She is awesome.  We had some really interesting experiences together, but there is nothing I love more than teaching the gospel.  We taught these cowboys.  I mean they were full blown cowboys.  Hats, boots, accents, mannerism... I mean cowboys!  They actually live in like an old fashioned saloon.  At one point one of them kept saying.  "I've been a good cowboy."  I kept thinking when did I travel back in time.  Who knew a little place like Alamogordo actually existed.  The things I have learned about the southern half of my mission.  :)

All of my investigators are doing really well.  We are working with all of them and we have some working for a baptism date in November.  The Enriquez family is simply wonderful.  Carmen keeps saying that she feels the spirit really strongly in her life and that they are spending more time as a family now.  It is amazing to see what the Gospel of Jesus Christ can do.  It really does change lives.  We are working hard with the members to help them not fear to do missionary work.  I didn't really understand before I came on a mission, but it isn't scary.  We have people all around us every minute of every day and we all need what the gospel can give us.  Even just inviting some one to come to an FHE or maybe a church activity.  I mean who doesn't want to trunk or treat?!  More candy and less walking - it's every parent and kid's dream!  I loved how in conference we have all been called to share the gospel.  The missionaries can't do missionary work without the members.  The Lord is changing the way we do missionary work.  Especially here in the United States it doesn't work to knock on doors.  Every missionary I have talked to on my mission has had no success knocking on doors.  The Lord will put people into our path like the Enriquez family and if we open our mouths miracles can occur, but we need the members.  We need members to do missionary work in the Lord's way.  Pray for missionary opportunities.  Pray for names to come to your mind of people that you could invite.  Just because you give a missionary a referral doesn't mean that person has to get baptized.  Trust me, we don't sneak people into the church and then baptism them without them knowing.  (Although I have been accused of that on my mission)  But when we do try and share the gospel the Lord will guide us to those people who are looking for the truth and who simply "Do not know where to find it"  Maybe you're not member of our church, and that's ok.  If you even just want to know a little bit more about what makes Mormons so happy just ask your Mormon friends or stop the Elders (or sisters as I well know) on bikes!  We can't keep these blessings just for ourselves.  We have to trust in the Lord's promises and be willing to open our mouths at all times and in all places.  I love each and everyone of you so much and I pray for your always!

Con Amor,
Hermana Klaus

No comments:

Post a Comment