Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Week 43 - August 19, 2013

Querida Familia y one super cute new nephew!

I miss you all bunches and I was so excited to get on today and see my new nephew Owen.  Feel free to use the head shot of me and take a picture with Owen, so he'll know his crazy aunt was there in spirit!   What a special blessing!  The Lord has just poured out his blessings this week.  It has been an amazing week.  I know I say that every week, but this week has been exceptional!

So I went on two exchanges this week.  The first exchange was to the university ward.  I was so excited to go and see Amber.  She didn't know I was coming, so I was excited to surprise her when she showed up for her lesson and I was there.  Amber is the girl who owns Princess.  I guess a sad note for the week is that I found out that Princess the little handicapped dog passed away.  I know that she came and fulfilled her mission in this life because without her and her funny little army crawl who knows if we would have started talking to Amber about the gospel.  Over a month ago I told Sister Mitchell I think a better name for her would have been Angel and now she really is a little Angel dog.  :)  So we were waiting in the institute for Amber and we were in the restroom when she showed up so when we walked out and she saw us I could tell she was screaming on the onside.  Hehe we were both were so happy to see each other.  What a special blessing from the Lord!  Amber is getting baptized on Saturday and I know that it might sound cheesy, but we are going to be forever friends and she will always be a miracle to me.  (hehe she is probably reading and this and is now embarrassed... oops don't be you're awesome!)

In other really exciting news.  I am not sure if I ever wrote to you about a man we were teaching.  He was deciding between two different religions.  We found him and started teaching while I was in El Centro and I was really sad to leave before he decided which Church he was going to join.  Well I got a special message from Sister Mitchell this week telling me that he has decided to be baptized!  He said that he prayed about it and it felt right to "become a mormon!"  It's a weird feeling being a missionary and being so filled with happiness because people that you found and helped teach are joining the church, but also a little sad that you can't be there for their whole journey

Oh before I forget - crazy thing happened yesterday.  We were driving down mesa and we saw this cop car come flying by us.  I was like wow he is hauling some serious tail!  Then we kept driving and a minute later we saw why.  We drove by just as the cop with his gun drawn was ordering some teenager to drop this huge black rifle he was carrying.  The kid dropped it instantly and was following the orders of the cop, so I have no idea what that kid was thinking.  Carrying a rifle in the middle of the city!  We were really relieved that the kid didn't do anything dumb otherwise we could have witnessed something very bad.

Ok so one of my favorite lessons of all time which will go down in the missionary history as being amazing happened last night.  So we were a little bummed because Carmen's family had been really busy the end of the week.  The couldn't come to church this week and so we were all worried and stressed about them.  We decided to stop by and see how they were doing.  They had just gotten home from Juarez a little bit before, but they were really excited to see us.  Carmen told us how they felt real bad that they didn't come to church and in the ending prayer of the night Sergio asked that they would be able to attend next week.  So last Sunday when they came to church they talked about the word of wisdom in gospel principles so we were going to go over it again.  We didn't even start the lesson when Sergio brought out some lipton's ice tea and asked if this was ok.  We told him no and they were bummed because they had just bought a brand new raspberry one.  One of the big containers.  So we started teaching the lesson and we had this little activity.  It was a piece of paper with a face and then a garbage can and then we had little drawn pictures of fruits, veggies, cigarettes, beer, coffee and tea.  So the purpose is to decide whether they go in the mouth or in the garbage can.  The funniest thing was the little two year old picked the tea and coffee picture and she put it right in the garbage can!  We cheered and even her parents were impressed.  She picked a carrot next and she put the carrot in the mouth.  I am telling you this kid is a genius!  So at the end of the lesson we committed them to live the word of wisdom and they said they would.  Then we asked them if they would give us their ice tea.  They were like "well I don't know...it's brand new we might take it Juarez to sell it.  I whipped out my wallet right there and pulled out the 2 dollars in cash I had and then sister Fallentine pulled out 2 dollars and for 4 bucks we bought both their big things of ice tea.  Carmen was like "man I really wanted to try the raspberry!" (I am so glad we got that out of the house :) hehe)  Right after we "bought" the ice tea Sergio looked at us very seriously and then asked if we wanted to carry out with paper or plastic.  We were just rollin on the floor. It was so funny. They told us to have fun throwing away the tea and we smiled and said we won't throw it away in their dumpster, so they wouldn't be tempted to go get it.  Another miracle is that when we started teaching them two weeks ago we promised that they would start to feel more in love by living the gospel principles.  Carmen told us last night that it is so weird, but that she has felt her love for her husband grow.  So many blessings!  Then when we got to the apartment last night we took great pleasure in flushing the tea down the toilet!  The history nerd in me...I had my very own Boston tea party last night!

I love you all so much!
Hermana Klaus

No comments:

Post a Comment